Reasons why we should praise the Lord.
1. Rejoice in the LORD, O you righteous, for praise is proper for those who are honest and just.
2. Praise the LORD with the harp: sing to him with the psaltery, and an instrument of ten strings.
3. Sing unto him a new song; play skilfully and with a loud noise.
4. For the word of the LORD is right; and all his works are done in truth.
5. He loves righteousness and judgment: the earth is full of the goodness of the LORD.
6. By the word of the LORD the heavens were made; and everything in them by the breath of his mouth.
7. He gathers the waters of the sea all together: and he makes the depth of them.
8. Let all the earth fear the LORD: let everyone who lives in the world stand in awe of him.
9. For he spoke, and it was done. He commanded and it stood fast..
10. The LORD brings the plans of those who do not believe in him to nothing: he makes the plans of those people to no effect.
11. The instruction of the LORD stands for ever, the thoughts of his heart to all generations.
12. Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD; and the people who he has chosen for his own inheritance.
13. The LORD looks from heaven; he sees all the sons of men.
14. From the place where he lives he looks on everyone who lives on the earth.
15. He forms their hearts, he examines all the things that they do.
16. There is no king that is saved by a great army:: a mighty man is not delivered by much strength.
17. A horse cannot be counted on to save: and he will not deliver any by his great strength.
18. Behold, the eye of the LORD is on them that fear him, upon them that hope in his mercy.
19. To deliver their soul from death, and to keep them alive in time of famine.
20. Our soul waits for the LORD, he is our help and our shield.
21. For our heart shall rejoice in him, because we have trusted in his holy name.
22. Let your mercy, O LORD, be upon us, even while we hope in you.
In this Psalm, we are taught that we who trust in the Lord and are following him, should rejoice in Him. We should praise him with music, and with songs, sung boldly and to the best of our ability. I believe that even if we haven’t been blessed with a great singing voice, we should still joyfully sing songs to the Lord because we love him. And if he has given us talent and opportunity to learn a musical instrument, we should play it to bring glory to His name.
We learn that the word of God – the Holy Bible, is right. and all his works, the creation and everything in it, is done in truth. All the earth is full of His goodness. By His word the heavens and the earth were made. Everyone in the earth should fear Him and be in awe of him. Fear does not mean being frightened as being scared by something, but a great respect, knowing that the Lord is all powerful, and over all, a reverential fear for who God is.
This psalm tells us that the LORD is in control of the people who do not believe in him, he brings their plans to nothing. His instructions stand for ever, and for all the people who have lived, or who will live. The nation is blessed whose God is the LORD, and so are the people who he has chosen.
The LORD looks from heaven on everyone in the earth, he sees everything they do. He knows that no one is saved by their own strength, and they cannot count on anything else to save them. His eye is on those that fear him and upon those that hope in his mercy to deliver them from death, and to keep them alive in time of famine..this can mean a famine of the Word of God, something which is happening more and more in this world of compromise in the church.
We who trust in the LORD wait for him, he is our help and our protector. Our hearts will rejoice in him because we have trusted in his holy name.
And finally, the psalmist prays for the LORD to let his mercy be upon us, even as we hope in him.
The above psalm and explanation were originally written for my former children’s ministry called Little Lambs Ministry based on the King James Version. It is now found on my WordPress children’s bible site called Free Bible Stories for Children. I am posting it here, adding more explanation for V19, hoping that it will reach adults as well because we all need to know some of the reasons why we should praise the Lord on a daily basis.