Flight or Fight – Put on the armour of God.
Years ago I had Shetland Sheepdogs as the dog of choice. They were loyal, intelligent, willing workers, but Shelties are known to have a flight response rather than a fight response. I also tend to be this way. Over the years there have been times when feelings were hurt, or someone, usually another Christian, was on the attack, or perhaps even it was a case of having differing view on subjects and I chose to keep silent rather than face challenges to those beliefs even though I strongly believed it was the biblical view, having prayed for the Lord to show me the truth from His Word.
So what should we do when challenged. Now I know that we should put on the armour of God, and so I am posting this study on the subject that my husband wrote probably 10 years ago.. The Lord teaches me different things at different times, and lately has been teaching me this important lesson.. to stand for the truth.
Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness; And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace; Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God: praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints. (KJV)
Every soldier going into battle certainly needs to put on his armour. The enemy is out to destroy us and we need all the protection we can get. In Ephesians 6:10-18 we notice that there are six pieces of armour. They are:
1. Loins girt about with truth.
2. Breastplate of righteousness.
3. Feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace.
4. Shield of faith.
5. Helmet of salvation.
6. Sword of the Spirit.
It is very interesting to note that all these pieces of protection are actually a person. Let me elaborate:
1. We are to have our loins girt about with truth.(V14) Did not the Lord Jesus say “I am the way, the truth and the life, no man cometh unto the Father but by me.” (John 14:6) So to girt our loins with truth, we are to acknowledge and yield to Christ who is the truth and read his word. “Thy word is truth” (John 17:17)
2. Next we are to have the breastplate of righteousness. (V14) In 1 John 2:1 we read “And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous”. So when you put on the breastplate of righteousness, you are putting on the Lord Jesus Christ, who alone is righteous. Righteousness is contained in a person.
3. Then we have our feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace. (V15) In Ephesians 2:14 we read …”he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;” Yet again, Peace is a person.
4. As with the shield of faith (V16). We read in Galatians 2:20: “I am crucified with Christ, nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.” Whose faith is it? It is the faith of the Son of God who loved us and gave himself for us. Faith is a person.
5. Next the helmet of salvation (V17) Is there salvation in any other than Christ? Acts 4:12: “Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved”.. Salvation is only in Christ for He is our salvation.
6. Lastly the Sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.(V17) Who is the Word? John 1:1 -” In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. John 1:14 – And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth”.
So the Lord Jesus Christ is the Word of God and when we read the scriptures we are reading Christ, what he said, for he is the Word incarnate.
So the full armour of God is contained in a Person, the Lord Jesus Christ “For it pleased the Father that in him should all fulness dwell;” (Colossians 1:19). “For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.” (Colossians 2:9).
Realizing then that Jesus is our answer to Satanic attacks, we need to realize as Nehemiah did with facing warfare “…….our God shall fight for us.” (Nehemiah 4:20) “…….We have no might against the great company of evil that may come against us, neither know we what to do: but our eyes are upon thee.” (2 Chronicles 20:12)
The Lord Jesus Christ is the Armour of God.